The Q&A Archives: Hydrangeas

Question: Hello
I live in southern california and the front of my house gets a lot of sun. I would like to plant hydrangeas but dont know if they can take direct sun or not. Can you help me, I would like the front of my house to look like a county cottage and think hydrangeas are so beautiful, they remind me of my grannys yard a very long time ago.
Thank you for your time and help
I am so happy I found your web site.

Answer: Hydrangeas tend to wilt in hot summer sunshine. Wilting foliage isn't very attractive, but during summer afternoons hydrangeas react to the heat by slowing everything down. They generally recover overnight and look good the next morning, but they will continue to wilt every afternoon until fall weather arrives. You might want to try another, less sensitive shrub in the site.