The Q&A Archives: cutting xanadu

Question: Would like to know if xanadu can be cut back. put a few shrubs around the pool, and it seems they are growing more branches and they are getting leggy. One plant now has 7 branches growing out of it, and they are getting big. Thank you for your time.

Answer: Marjorie,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

Xanadu philodendron will sprout new shoots from the stem if cut back a little, so go ahead and do what you need to in order to make it more attractive. Just don't butcher the plant with a major pruning all at once, especially in summer.