The Q&A Archives: Gardenia Dropping Flower Buds

Question: A week a go I bought one of your gardenias. It was full of blooms. I got one flower but all the others start falling off. I don't know why. By the way, this is not the first time I've had the same problem with a gardenia. Please help me!

Answer: Growing healthy gardenia plants can be a challenge, even for seasoned gardeners. You'll need to keep your gardenia in a container and winter the plant indoors. Gardenias require a rich, very acid soil (pH 4.5 to 5.0). An abundance of moisture and high humidity is the most important factor in successful gardenia culture. Unfortunately, gardenia is often a disappointment to gardeners because it can be very, very demanding. For flower buds to form and thrive, night temperatures need to be between 60-65F. During the day, temperatures should be 70-75F. A very constant, even temperature is required or buds will drop. Bright light is essential, but avoid direct mid-day sun in the summer. Best of luck with your gardenia!