The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Valencia Orange Tree

Question: I have a dwarf Valencia Orange tree that I bought three years ago and is in a container. It goes in the greenhouse in the winter and then outside after the threat of frost is gone. It currently has about 15 to 20 1

Answer: Citrus are heavy feeders and will quickly use up nutrients in a container situation, so I suspect your trees simply need some supplemental nutrients. If you can find a citrus fertilizer at your local nursery, use that. Otherwise, any all-purpose balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10 or an organic equivalent will be fine. It's easy to burn the roots of containerized plants so be sure to dilute the fertilizer so it's only half-strength and then feed twice as often as recommended on the fertilizer package. Best wishes with your orange tree!