The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Pine Trees

Question: We built a deck onto the house, and my climbing rose bush, on an archway, has fallen over. I had to take if off of the arch. Can I move it, or maybe prune it way back, and transplant it at another time of year?

Answer: It is always easier on plants if you move them during the cooler months of spring or fall. If you can wait to move your pines, they will recover quickly. Roses respond best if they're pruned and/or moved while they're dormant. However, it doesn't sound as though you have much choice in the matter. My first suggestion is that you prune it way back now and move it this winter. If that's not an option, prune it back and move it now, but expect it to sulk for quite some time before it flowers for you. Best wishes with your rose!