The Q&A Archives: Amaryllis Culture

Question: I have Amaryllis in bloom. After the blossom fades, how do I store it and how do I bring it back to another full bloom time?

Answer: Amaryllis need bright light and temperatures of 60F - 70F. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. After flowering cut off the stalk but allow the leaves to remain. In the spring place the pot outdoors in a shady place. In late summer, when the leaves turn yellow and die, stop watering, bring the plant indoors, and allow it to rest in a cool, dry place for about three months. Around the first of December, repot and bring it into a bright room. Begin watering again and a new flower stalk and new leaves will emerge from the bulb. When the weather warms in the spring, take it outdoors again to repeat the process.