The Q&A Archives: losing leaves

Question: I bought a dogwood tree this summer. Planted it and after a few weeks the leaves had black all over them and some leaves started falling off. I am in the proper zone for them. What does it sound like? I water it properly but still get those black on the leaves.

Answer: Unfortunately this type of problem is difficult to diagnose long distance, but I suspect there is a bacterial and/or fungal infection. Sadly, dogwoods are subject to a number of problems and are most susceptible to them when they are stressed by transplanting, even when the care is good. I would strongly suggest you work with your local county extension to obtain a diagnosis and then based on knowing that, determine how to proceed. If a chemical control is needed, they will be able to tell you what to use and how/when to apply it correctly. I am sorry you are having trouble with your dogwood.