The Q&A Archives: How to get Lilies of the Nile to bloom

Question: Two years ago I purchased agapanthus plants from a local nursery. I was told they would do well in pots. Even though the plants look healthy I have been unable to bring them to bloom. They get good sun. Please tell me what I may be doing wrong. I had previously had agapanthus planted in the ground and they bloomed well. Thanks for your help.

Answer: Phyllis,

Something is preventing your plant from building up carbohydrates so it can produce bloom buds. If it is getting plenty of sun the problem may be that it is getting a little too dry. This can happen quickly in a container. Water as often as needed to keep the soil moist. You might want to move it to a location with a little afternoon shade to reduce water stress. Also try feeding it with a soluble product such as Miracle Gro following the label rate.