The Q&A Archives: Pine tree sap and bark loss

Question: I have an older pine tree that is oozing a little sap in places on the trunk as well as losing some of its has bald spots on the trunk. Is it diseased or infested with insects?
Thanks, Kathy Sanders

Answer: Pine trees sometimes develop fissures in the bark and sap can run down the trunk or branches. It doesn't necessarily mean that anything is wrong with the tree - it's a natural thing. However, if the tree has been injured (weed trimmers, lawn mowers, etc.) the sap indicates the tree is trying to seal off the wound. Again, if the tree is otherwise healthy, it should be able to compartmentalize this injury with compromising its health. Small sections of bark can fall off all on their own - again it's a natural thing. Watch the areas in question. If insects take up residence you can spot treat. But I suspect that the tree is just doing what a pine tree does and there's nothing to be concerned about. Best wishes with your pine!