The Q&A Archives: Propagating Calla Lilies

Question: I have calla lilies that have gone to seed. I have the seed pods still on the plant. When and how do I take them and start new plants?
2. Is there anything I can put in the ground to kill Bamboo that is seeping over from my neighbors?
3. Is there a Bamboo nursery in the Los Angeles or San diego areas that I can get further info on bamboo?

Answer: It takes 3-5 years for callas to bloom from seed. Watch the seed capsules carefully and remove them as they begin to turn brown a split. Shake the pods into a paper bag to extract the seeds and then store the bags in a cool, dry place until you're ready to sow them. You can sow the seeds in fall and they will sprout in spring, or sow them in spring. Most will germinate within 2-6 weeks of sowing.

To sow:
Fill a pot to within 1/2 inch of the rim with seed starting mix and firm it down; sow seed evenly on the surface; just barely cover the seed with a thin layer of seed starting mix. Plunge the seed pot into damp sand or gravel in an open frame in a shaded site in the garden. Water as often as required to keep the soil mix evenly moist.

As for the bamboo; there are barriers you can you can place in the soil between the property lines. I can't find a specialty nursery in the Los Angeles area, but you can contact Bamboo Sourcery in Sebastopol at 707-823-5866.