The Q&A Archives: where are the peppers?

Question: I have several pepper plants in my garden this year. They are all very healthy and large, however they are not producing any peppers, what am I doing wrong? Any suggestions

Answer: There are a number of reasons for peppers to be slow in producing, ranging from temperature ranges at the seedling stage to the ambiant temperatures, to the variety you are growing to an overabundance of nitrogen. In order to produce peppers your plants must bloom, and too much nitrogen can induce the plants to produce more foliage rather than blooming.

Give your pepper plants full sunshine and as much heat as your climate will allow, don't fertilize, water when necessary, and watch carefully for blossoms. If your plants flower, and there is insect activity in your garden, your plants should develop peppers. Enjoy!