The Q&A Archives: African Iris growing pains

Question: I've had my African Iris for about three years now, and it hasn't bloomed since I bought it. I have it in full sun, with a sand/mulch enriched soil (soil basis is basically white clay in our area). It doesn't really grow or show much enthusiasm. I've used Miracle Grow on it periodically, which seems to serve my other plants (lavender and hardy amaryllis are in the same bed) just fine. What am I doing wrong?

Answer: Valerie,

African Iris can be kinda picky that way. I suggest you increase the fertilizing to a weekly dose and keep the soil moist just in case that sand/mulch mix is draining too readily and not holding some moisture. Other than this you are doing everything right and the plants should start blooming soon.