The Q&A Archives: coleushybridus- joseph's coat

Question: I am new to gardening this year in fact. Last night one of my outside annual planters(coleusybybridus) was blown off our patio and damaged. Should I snip off the damaged stems or will they recover with just waterning and or fertizler? Since purchasing this plant in April it had grown quite a bit and look great. Thanks

Answer: Coleus is a very forgiving plant. It takes pruning well and is also easy to root from tip cuttings. It should recover and if anything will look better than before. Where the stem is broken you can trim it off cleanly below the break, cut just above a leaf or node. It should regrow and become bushier from lower on the plant, so it is not such a terrible disaster. Just continue to water and fertilize normally -- not extra. You can also root the broken-off tips by sticking them into slightly damp soilless potting mix, set in a bright spot (out of direct sun) and look for roots in a couple of weeks. Good luck with your coleus!