The Q&A Archives: Tangerine Beauty Crossvine

Question: I read Bright Color Now article in Southern Living Magasine. I thought I found the perfect fast growing flowering vine to cover my ugly chain linked fence--but to much of my disappointment it is not for my zone. Any other suggestions?

Answer: How disappointing to think you've found the perfect plant, only to learn it is not hardy in your growing zone! There are several other vines you might consider. Trumpet vine and the native honeysuckles are delightful woody vines that attract hummingbirds and butterflies. Another possibility would be the sweet autumn clematis which produces fragrant white flowers each fall followed by attractive seed heads. This vine shold be trimmed back hard each spring but regrows quickly and could cover your fence. Best wishes with your garden!