The Q&A Archives: Removing Boston Ivy adhesive disk from vinyl siding

Question: I don?t know if you can help me. Boston Ivy has grown from a brick wall to a vinyl siding. When the ivy was removed, the adhesive disk that holds the ivy to the siding will not come off. I have tried orange cleaner, alcohol, mineral spirits, simple green, gook off, and even waterless hand cleaner with no success. Do you know of anything that will get this stuff off? Thanks

Answer: Unfortunately, I don't. These are notoriously difficult to remove short of possibly power washing which I wouldn't recommend because it can damage the siding. In my experience, they eventually rot and mostly come off on their own through weathering although the process takes years. If the area is not too large, maybe you could dab at them with a tiny spot of touch up paint that matches the siding.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"