The Q&A Archives: Shamel Ash

Question: We have some Shamel ash trees in their fourth year, doing fine but, should I prune the short growth from the mature trunk and limbs? It seems that the tree has many of these. They are young

Answer: It is always easier on trees and shrubs if you remove misplaced stems and branches before they grow too large. I'd rub off anything that begins to sprout along the trunk, and anything you think will grow in the wrong direction on the limbs. When your ash tree matures a bit more it will concentrate on growth within the canopy of the tree rather than along the trunk. In the meantime, keep your pruners sharp and go after the offending growth (or rub out the buds as soon as you recognize them). Best wishes with your ash tree!