The Q&A Archives: Scarlet Trumpet Vine with No Flowers

Question: I live in Southern California and planted a Scarlet Trumpet Vine in February. It has tons of new growth and seems to be really happy although I haven't seen a single bloom. Everything that I have read says that it should be covered. What might be the problem?

Answer: Trumpet vine or Campsis radicans is sometimes shy to flower for no particular or obvious reason. It grows best in average soil and full sun all day long. Take care not to overfertilize it as an excess supply of nitrogen can stimulate foliar growth at the expense of blooming. Also, prune it back hard in late winter or very early spring to try to encourage vigorous new growth for the season. This plant blooms on the new growth so do not prune it during the growing season. I hope your vine blooms for you next summer. It is worth the wait!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Dianthus 'Nyewood Cream'"