The Q&A Archives: Boxwood hedging selection

Question: We purchased an older home this year with a raised backyard that is bordered with 3 foot high rock walls. I would like to add a boxwood hedge along the tops of the walls that will end up 18-36

Answer: I think boxwood is a good choice for the site you describe, and here are my suggestions: Winter Gem is the hardiest of the boxwoods and reliably retains its dark green velvety foliage color all winter long. It grows 4-6 feet tall and wide but can be pruned to maintain a smaller size. Green Tower grows at a moderate to fast rate and is columnar; nine feet tall, one to two feet wide. The foliage is dense and its lustrous dark green leaves have a lighter underside. Green Tower can be a carefree evergreen hedge barrier, and it looks great as a single columnar specimen or in pairs to flank a gate or entry. If you choose to plant Winter Gem, you can space them 3 feet apart and they will grow into one another. If you decide to grow Green Tower (my choice because it has a columnar growth habit), you can plant them two feet apart and they will develop into a dense hedge. Best wishes with your landscape!