The Q&A Archives: Yellow trumpet vine

Question: I purchased a yellow teumpet vine last summer and it did not bloom. This summer it is doing very well but I see absolutely no signs of a bud, let alone a bloom. What can I do to encourage it to bloom this summer?

Many Thanks

Answer: Trumpet vines (Campsis radicans) do best in full sun, are not too picky about soil and usually bloom at an early age. They do, however, bloom on new wood. This means that any pruning should be done in late winter or very early spring only. In fact, many gardeners prune this vine back very hard (to just a few buds) annually in late winter to both keep it in bounds and also encourage lots of new growth for maximum bloom each season. Hope this sheds some light on the possible causes of non-blooming. Good luck with it next summer!