The Q&A Archives: Help for my Japanese Maple

Question: A Japaness Maple Bloodgood was recently planted in my back yard
(June 18th 2005)since then I noticed that its leaves are drying rapidly. What is it that I need to do to help this beasutiful adition to my backyard...
Looking fordward to your suggestions!

Answer: Unfortunately based on your description I am not able to tell you what is happening to your tree, however a mid-summer planting is extremely stressful so it may be partly due to transplant shock. These trees require an acidic, humusy, evenly moist yet well drained soil. This means it should be damp like a wrung out sponge, never sopping wet and never bone dry. Browning can indicate over or underwatering, so this may be part of the problem. Since this is such a new plant, I would strongly suggest you consult with your retailer and/or installer about the tree to try to determine what is happening to it before it is too late to save it. Good luck with your tree.