The Q&A Archives: white flies

Question: hello, one of my new plants must have had white flies and now they are all over my lavender, tomatoes, etc. i keep shaking the plants and trimming infected leaves, washing some of them with soap and water and just when i get it under control i find a new plant has been infected. what can i do to? i def. don't want to use pesticides. thank you

Answer: Whitefly is one of the most difficult pests to control. If your plants are outdoor plants, you can try washing them with a strong spray of water from the garden hose to knock them down and hope that a good rainy spell will also help wash them clean. However, the whiteflies will probably still come back unless you treat them. Commercially formulated insecticidal soap or horticultural oil can be used according to the label instructions to reduce the numbers. Make sure the plants you are spraying are listed on the label, and spray all surfaces of each plant thoroughly. Be very careful not to introduce them into your house if you bring any plants indoors for the winter.