The Q&A Archives: Royal Cape Plumbago vine & Aunt Dee Wisteria vine

Question: Hi,
I recently purchased a Royal Cape Plumbago vine, my questions are can I overwinter it indoors and if so how do I proceed tp do it? I have all rooms that are mostly sunny in my home except for a few which recieve some sun. Do I continue to keep it fairly watered? I live in zone 5. Also I bought a wisteria vine, Aunt Dee.. will that bloom in my zone? Any help would be appreciated. Your plants are the most beautiful ones I have ever bought at a nursery.

Sincerely,

Rene Alongi

Answer: The Royal Cape Plumbago can be wintered indoors. You can try to keep it actively growing in a very bright room (or greenhouse) or you can allow it to rest in the winter. Store it in a cool bright room and keep the soil slightly damp, do not allow it to go bone dry but do not overwater it and do not fertilize it while it is resting. In late winter cut it back hard and bring it into the brightest location you have, and it will begin to grow again.

"Aunt Dee" is a named variety of the native Kentucky Wisteria or W. Macrostachya (sometimes listed under W. frutescens.) It blooms in the late spring or early summer and is considered hardy into zone 5. Give it a sheltered location in full sun and average soil. Do not overfertilize it as excess nitrogen can delay blooming. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Pacific Blue Ice"