The Q&A Archives: What happened to my carpet rose?

Question: I had a beautiful carpet rose that bloomed for three years. Suddenly, this summer it just died.
The whole bush just quickly turned brown. Do you have any clue as to what could have happened?

Answer: If your carpet rose was performing well in spring and early summer, then suddenly died, I'd suspect a root problem. Dig the plant up and inspect the root system. Look for girdling roots, roots damaged by critter chewing, soggy or rotted areas within the root mass, and grubs or other insects within the roots or crown of the plant. If you discover any of the above, it's a pretty sure bet that's what did in your plant. The only other thing that might cause sudden death is the accidental application of an herbicide. Hope you discover what the cause was!