The Q&A Archives: Palm tree fungus/mold

Question: I have an indoor Palm tree, not sure of the specific breed name. It is about 7 feet tall with long thin leaves. It has developed a white mold or fungus not sure exactly what it is? I can send pictures if needed. I water it about 1 quart a week as recommended by the wholesaler. What is the white

Answer: Solomon,

Sorry but our Q&A system isn't set up to take photos. I suspect you are seeing mealybugs or possibly scale insects. Smash some of the white stuff and see if there is a pinkish red goo inside which indicates mealybugs. You might also want to take a sample to your local County Extension Office to see if they can look it over and identify your plant's problem. They could then suggest the appropriate solution. If it is mealybugs a systemic insecticide may be needed for effective control.