The Q&A Archives: Dog hardy plants

Question: I have two dogs and although they go on frequent walks, always manage to

Answer: There are not many salt resistant plants. Those of us who love both dogs and gardens have our work cut out for us! Your best bet is to plant in raised beds and train your dogs that the beds are off limits. Your vet may have other suggestions as well. The other advantage is that as you build the beds, you can mix any necessary amendments with the soil as you fill the frames.

No plant will long tolerate repeated "marking", so discourage such behavior with repellents (Gardener's Supply Co. has several options available - see their site:

Flowers for you to consider include astilbe, tuberous and fibrous begonias, forget-me-not, platycodon, snapdragons, violas, campanula, and gloriosa and shasta daisies. You can employ ground covers such as Vinca minor and pachysandra around the beds, and the latter should be pretty trample-resistant once established.

Locate your "fruiting" veggies (tomatoes, eggplant, cukes, etc., that set fruit from flowers) in the bed that gets the most light. Root and leaf crops can stand more shade. Hope this helps!