The Q&A Archives: Source of Crape Myrtle

Question: I would like to mail order a Crape Myrtle to be shipped to Canada. Does your company do such a thing, or can you suggest where I might be able to locate somewhere that could do so?

Answer: Burpee does not currently carry Crape Myrtle, (Lagerstroemia) which is a tropical shrub that should be kept inside for the winter in northern climates. Gurney's Seed & Nursery (ph# 605/665-1671; 110 Capital St., Yankton, SD 57079) carris Crape Myrtlein Rose, Red, and Lavender. You can contact them to inquire about shipping to Canada and whether their varieties will thrive in the Canadian area you are planning to send it to. Carroll Gardens (444 East Main St., Westminster, MD 21157; ph# 800/638-6334)has dwarf varieties - give them a call, too. Good luck! <br><br>