The Q&A Archives: What is killing my boston ivy?

Question: The leaves on my boston ivy are turning brown and bronze and falling off, leaving a skeletal looking dead vine. I think it is some kind of mite, however, I do not know which one. How do I save it??? I have a cat and do not wish to use a pesticide harmful to animals.

Thank You, GiGi

Answer: Gigi,

Mites generally cause a loss of the green color initially and then the browning so it is probably not mites. It could be some type of root rot. It is difficult to recommend a control product without seeing the damage and knowing what caused it. Your best bet is to take some leaves showing the damage to your County Extension Office and see if they can identify the cause of the damage. They would then be able to recommend an appropriate, labeled product for you to use.