The Q&A Archives: Brown spots on stem of capella arboricola

Question: Please help...I bought a capella arboricola 2 days ago and the stems of the plants are covered in these small brown spots. I have researched this online but it does not seems to be mites or mealeybugs. In fact, the spots don't seems to be any typeof bugs. I picked a few of them off and I am not sure what they are.

Answer: Stacy,

That plant can be attached by scale insects which would need treatment with a systemic insecticide labeled for houseplants. But it is difficult to say without seeing the "brown spots". Your best bet is to take a leaf showing the spots to your County Extension Office and see if they can identify the cause of the damage. They would then be able to recommend an appropriate, labeled insecticide product for you to use.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"