The Q&A Archives: Maple Tree Rust Spots

Question: I have a maple tree that is developing rust spots. Apparently this was common city-wide last year. We were asked not to compost these leaves as they had a fungus growing on them. The fungus caused the rust spots. Could you tell me how I can treat this fungus? I'm worried that my trees won't survive.

Answer: Unfortunately, I am unable to tell you how to control the fungus without knowing specifically what it is. Since it is apparently an ongoing problem in your area, I would suggest you contact the local authorities (such as the municipal arborist office or a representative of the office asking that you not compost) and ask what they recommend. Your local professional nurseryman may also have suggestions. Good luck with your maples!