The Q&A Archives: Newly planted red flowering maple

Question: I planted two Flowering maple trees from monrovia approx. 1 mo. ago. The pink flowering maple is doing great. The red flowering maple looks very poorly. It has not grown and the leaves are limp and the tree has produced buds but will not flower. It looks sickly.
The trees are planted in the same area of the yard with the same sun exposure.
What should I do?
Please HELP

Answer: While it's normal for newly planted trees and shrubs to look pathetic for a few weeks until they adjust to their new homes, your red flowering maple sounds as though it is having a terrible time. Flowering maples grow best in light afternoon shade in your area, in rich, loose, well draining soils. Soils can differ from one planting spot to another so even though your two new shrubs are planted near one another, not all things are equal. I'd dig up the ailing flowering maple and pot it up in potting soil, then place it in a shady spot until it recovers. While the shrub is out of the ground, check the planting hole. Amend the soil if it drains poorly. Early this fall, after your plant recovers and when the temperatures are cooler, replant in the original spot. It should adjust quickly once it is healthy and the temperatures cool down a bit. Best wishes with your landscape!