The Q&A Archives: Why are the lower branches on my BBQ Rosemary plant turning brown?

Question: I recently brought home 2 BBQ Rosemary plants and the bottom branches of one of them are turning brown and dying. What would cause this and what does this plant need to thrive?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Answer: Rosemary grows best in full sunshine, in well-draining soils. It needs to be watered deeply once each week during the growing season. Spider mites tend to congregate where the air is hot and dry so to keep them from attacking your rosemary, hose the plants off weekly.

Rosemary tends to become woody with age and all the new growth is concentrated at the tips of the stems. To keep the stems green and supple, simply prune away the old, dead stems. This will encourage additional stem growth throughout the plant, resulting in a full and dense plant.