The Q&A Archives: Eureka Lemon Tree

Question: First off I had a Meyer Lemon Tree for years, after 10 years it died. On Mothers day this year my children bought me a Pink Variegated Eureka Lemon Tree (Monrovia) from TLC Nursery in Ellisville, Mo. I tree potted the tree, leaves and all for very healthy, however I have blooms which I polinate (like I did my Meyer tree) and I have all kinds of lemons they get the size of my little finger nail and the stem turns brown and the lemon falls off. I have never had this problem before. The tree is in a large pot on my patio till fall..I water as needed and it gets sun, No use having this tree if it won't produce lemons. So far I must have lost 2 dozen lemons. Please let me know or the tree is going back. I have gone to TLC (SunSwept Nursery) and they could tell me nothing.

Answer: Young Eureka lemon trees often set more blossoms than they can possibly develop into fruit. Early fruit drop is common in young trees. Sounds as though you've been pollinating the flowers correctly - the only other thing you need to do is make sure the soil is consistently moist during fruit formation. What you might try doing is physically removing all but one or two flowers on each branch. The tree may be able to grow a few fruit to maturity without giving the signal to abort all. As your tree matures, it will be able to set and hold fruit to maturity. It just needs a little more time.

Best wishes with your tree!