The Q&A Archives: Green Tower Boxwood

Question: Before I start to look for a retailer of Green Tower Boxwood in the Toronto area I'd like to know if it will survive in the Toronto area. Other boxwoods have no trouble.

Answer: Green Tower is considered hardy to USDA winter hardiness zone 5; some boxwoods are considered hardy into zone 4 such as Green Mountain, Green Velvet, and Chicagoland Green for example. It does best in a well drained soil with protection from winter winds, so microclimate is also important. Your local retailers should be able to help you select a boxwood that would grow well for you in the site you want to plant, or if not, should be able to suggest a substitute. And, if hardiness is an issue they may not carry it in your area for just that reason. Good luck with your boxwoods!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"