The Q&A Archives: Shrubs as Privacy Border

Question: I would like to know what type of shrub I could plant in front of my home as a privacy border? I live in a hot, humid climate in Louisiana along the Gulf Coast. I would like an evergreen shrub and something that is economical to purchase.

Answer: Virginia,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

To get a shrub that is fairly tall so as to make a good privacy border, and economical I suggest you consider 'Bright N Tight' Cherry Laurel. If drainage is fair to good it will do well and make a dense border. Southern Wax Myrtle is also a good choice but make a wider hedge that is not as tall as the cherry laurel.