The Q&A Archives: tree

Question: I have a chine berry tree it about 7 feet high and we planted 3 years in a caliche soil. this year some of the brach leaves didnot fulling develope open . Half did open nice . We have water the tree 4 time a week. but know the leaves are turning yellow . what can we do to save this tree from dieing. also i plant tomatoes and all 3 turn brwon and die. i water them 4 times a week.they were doing fine gave some tomatoes and flower. I had carperter ants near the plants. I help i need what make my plants die. thank you
they were in good soil.

Answer: Bertha,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

Your China berry may have had some winter injury or perhaps something is happening to the roots. The tomatoes suffer from root diseases sometimes too. If your soil is caliche and you water too much the soil doesn't drain away the extra water and the roots can't get oxygen and start to die.

I suggest you contact your County Extension Agent for more local help. Her name is Daphne Richards. They don't charge for their services. Their office information is:
Texas Cooperative Extension
1030 N. Zaragosa, Ste. A
El Paso, TX 79907
Phone: (915) 859-7725