The Q&A Archives: Care of Nishiki Willow Tree (salix integra hakuro nishiki)

Question: Can you please tell me what kind of care a newly planted Nishiki Willow Tree requires. I especially need to know the watering instructions, since I have already been told several different things. Thank you.

Answer: This is a willow and like all willows, enjoys an evenly moist or even a wet soil. However, this plant will grow well in average moisture conditions such as in a planting bed where plants are watered during dry spells. I would not recommend it for a fast draining sandy soil, or for a well drained slope for example. The more sun it receives, ideally the moister the soil should be. It needs at least a half day of direct sun to stay healthy, and should also have good air circulation. If you have just planted it now in the heat of summer, you will definitely need to water it to keep the soil fairly wet to try to avoid shocking it. To know if you need to water, dig into the soil with your finger, if it is still wet do not water yet. Using a layer of organic mulch several inches thick in a flat layer over the root area will help maintain even soil moisture. I hope this helps.