The Q&A Archives: coral bark japanese maple

Question: My tree is in full sun and the leaves are yellow with brownish dead edges, it is planted in a 25 inch pot. what can I do to help it become healthy? I am following the instructions on the tag that came with the tree. The tree is a monrovia product.

Please help,
Thank you, God Bless

Answer: These small maples prefer a moist, slightly acidic, moderately fertile soil with a deep mulch. Most varieties of Japanese maples prefer to be grown in partial shade with direct sun occurring during the cooler parts of the day. High fertility in soils where a dwarf Japanese maple is grown in full sun is said to lead to increased leaf scorch in summer. Your tree will appreciate some protection from hot afternoon sun and the leaf scorch will be minimal, if not eliminated altogether. Best wishes with your tree!