The Q&A Archives: Emerald Isle Leyland Cypress

Question: I planted 5 of this cypress this spring. The bottom limbs are turning brown, black and drying. They recieve moisture from the sprinkler system, early morning. They are mulched with pecan shell.
They seem to be sprouting new tendrels on top half of trees. Help!!! I love the look, but will I be able to keep them alive.

Answer: BAsed on your description I am not certain what is happening to your Leylands. However, usually foliage deterioration at the bottom indicates a problem with excess moisture at the roots, this can be due to planting too deeply, planting in a low spot where water collects, or overwatering for example. Watering with a sprinkler rather than drip irrigation so that the foliage is often wet can also contribute to the development of fungal or bacterial infections. I would suggest you work with your county extension and/or professional nursery staff to diagnose the problem more specifically and then work from there. Good luck with your Leyland cypresses!