The Q&A Archives: new garden

Question: We have a 12X12 area with full sun that we want to make into a garden. I want herbs, vegetables, and flowers in this garden. How do you think I should plan for this?

Answer: The first thing you should do is get a soil test kit from your Extension Service. Their web site URL is: ( Tell them what you intend to plant there and they will tell you exactly what you need to do in order to correctly amend the soil. Follow their advice to the letter! Then at that point you can begin to make plans for planting. <br><br>You might make a list of the plants you want in your new garden, then put them in order of mature height. Draw a diagram of your garden, and begin"planting". Put the tallest plants on the north side, the shortest on the south. You can divide the garden into a "vegetable" section and a "flower" section, or mix the two together. It's up to you!