The Q&A Archives: Clamatis

Question: We have a clamatis that bloomed profusely last year and had to replace the trellis to get a stronger one that the wind didn't move since the plant was so large and unbelieveably beautiful. we did have to cut it down to nothing in order to put the new trellis up. The plant this year is not doing well and the leaves are turning brown and is effecting the few flowers that have bloomed at the top. Can you tell me what is causing this and what to do about it? Kathy

Answer: Some clematis bloom on the old vines that grew the year before, or late in the season on the current growth, so the pruning may have limited the blooming for this year. It would not have killed the plant, however, so do not blame yourself. Clematis are subject to a number of disease problems incuding clematis wilt. I would suggest you work with your county extension to try to determine what is affecting your vine and once you know that more specifically, work from there. In the meantime, you could top dress with some good quality compost and clean up and remove any fallen or badly discolored foliage and faded blooms in case it is something such as a fungus that could reinfect that way. I hope it is nothing too serious.