The Q&A Archives: Canadale Gold Euonymus

Question: I just planted 1 gallon of Canadale Gold Euonymus, and some of the leaves turned dry (light yellow in color) and started to fall off. We have a very hot summer however, I make sure it is moderately moist and water it every other day or so. What is causing the leaves to fall off? The other stems seem to grow fine. Please advise.

Thank you

Answer: I suspect your euonymus is suffering from a little transplant shock and will perk up as soon as the roots establish themselves. Watering every other day might be excessive. Try watering it throughly and then waiting 3-4 days. Check the soil moisture content by digging down near the roots. If the soil is moist 3 inches beneath the surface, you won't need to water for a few more days; if it is dry, it's time to water; if it's soggy, the soil doesn't drain quickly enough to keep the roots healthy. After your shrub has established its roots and you see healthy new growth, prune away the dead stems. Your euonymus will fill out nicely once the weather cools and it overcomes its transplant stress. Best wishes with your garden!