The Q&A Archives: Burgundy Leaf Azalea

Question: I remember seeing a Standard Burgundy leaf Azalea by Monrovia at the nursery. Could you tell me what variety that was?

Answer: There is a hardy series of azaleas called Northern Lights. You may have seen one of the following:
'Lemon Lights'
'Lemon Lights' has striking two-toned yellow flowers which are lighter at the outer edges of the petals and more gold-toned at the throats. The flowers emit a sweet fragrance. The dark, glossy foliage has an excellent resistance to powdery mildew and provides a beautiful contrast to the clear, yellow blooms. Fall foliage color is maroon bronze. Expect 'Lemon Lights' to reach 6-10 feet tall and 5-8 feet wide.

'Northern Hi-Lights'
'Northern Hi-Lights' was first introduced in 1994. It has creamy white flowers with splashes of yellow. As with 'Lemon Lights,' 'Northern Hi-Lights' also has a sweet fragrance. The deep green, mildew-resistant foliage will turn burgundy in the autumn, adding to your fall landscape. Expect 'Northern Hi-Lights' to reach 6-10 feet tall and 5-8 feet wide.