The Q&A Archives: Lavender

Question: I planted Lavender in a very good moisture potting soil. I have one plant that grew very well immediately but now is dying out. The leaves are drying up. I water it when it looks like the soil is starting to dry out. Do they like sun or shade? I have tried both but it keeps getting worse.

Answer: Lavender grows best in full sunshine and prefers soil that's slightly dry. If you're using a moisture retentive soil and watering often, it could be that you're keeping the soil too wet and the roots are suffocating. Move your lavender into full sunshine and don't water until the top inch or two of soil is dry. You can prune off the dead stems and your plants should produce healthy new growth. Best wishes with your lavender!