The Q&A Archives: Shade perennial identification

Question: Question: I have(had)a shade loving perennial that I started from a small plant growing in Northern Wisconsin. This plant filled a tree shaded ravine with its sweeping stems and large leaves. My plant was coming along nicely but all was destroyed during installation of a new gas line at my house.
I would like to find out what the identity of this plant so I can restart it.
Heart shaped leaves grow alternately off a single sweeping stem. Some plants I saw full grown reached 5 ft tall. Might populate through roots as I had several new plants pop up in close proximity. Likes moisture and shade. Grew quite well on the North side of my house.
Can you help me?

Answer: I'm sorry, but without seeing it, it's difficult to say. I suggest you take a sample to a local nursery or to the Anoka County Cooperative Extension office, 550 Bunker Lake Blvd NW, Anoka, 612-755-1280. Good luck!