The Q&A Archives: Lilac Hibiscus

Question: I planted a Lilac Hibiscus about 1/2 year ago and it gets full sun all day in Altadena, CA. It has grown a significant amount and has a lot of new growth of is continuing to blossom. However, recently several leaves have been turning yellow more around the bottom of the plant and no yellow leaves at the top growth. Are yellow leaves a sign of too much watering for a Lilac Hibiscus? The leaves don't seem wilted like the plant is getting too little water. Can you help me out?

Answer: I think you're doing everything right to keep your plant healthy. Most plants shed their oldest leaves in favor of developing healthy new leaves. If the oldest leaves, those on the lowest part of the stem, are yellowing, it's probably a natural occurance. Once the leaves are shed, new leaves should take their places. If they don't, you can pinch the tips of the stems off and that will force new growth lower down on the stems. Enjoy your beautiful plant!