The Q&A Archives: OPEN OPEN University offering Botany specializing in breeding and genetic modification

Question: To Whom it May Concern:

My name is Shaun Broderick. I work for Linden Nursery in Lindon, Utah under Ed Platt. I have worked there for several years, and I'm now trying to decide where I should go to pursue my education.

I would like to earn a Masters or Doctorate Degree in Botany specializing in breeding and genetic modification.

After this Fall semester I will have my Associates of Science Degree at Utah Valley State College. I'm looking to transfer to a school this coming Spring that will provide a comprehensive program in the profession I wish to pursue.

Could you provide my with some suggestions of good universities that offer that kind of program?

Thank you for your time.

Shaun Broderick

Answer: There are many programs nationwide such as the Plant Breeding and Genetics program at Michigan State for example --

You can bring up more schools using google to search for, say: plant breeding genetics graduate university program as search term, or you might find some useful information at a site such as where you can begin to sort and identify possibililties and then contact the school directly for more information.

To some extent your choice may depend on what type of plant you are interested in working on and your background preparation so far. I would suggest you work with your professors at Utah Valley State College (and possibly even check back with your high school guidance offices at a time of year when they are not too busy) to identify and investigate programs that might interest you and be a good match. Best of luck with your studies!