The Q&A Archives: Growing Watermelons

Question: After the plants are about 4 to 5 inches tall, do you separate them? And how do prepare the soil?

Answer: As soon as your seedlings develop two sets of true leaves, you can transplant each into the garden. You'll want to shade them from hot afternoon sunshine for a week or two after planting to allow them to adjust to their new homes. I prepare my planting bed by spreading a 3-4 inch layer of organic material over the entire bed and then digging it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Then level the soil and dig your planting holes. After you plant your seedlings, mulch around them with additional organic matter to help moderate soil temperatures, slow evaporation, and suppress weeds. Best wishes with your watermelons!