The Q&A Archives: Temporary plants for Sacramento climate

Question: I have a client in the Sacramento area that is needing an approximate 2-year screen planting. Since it is a temporary situation, I'm trying to find out whether healing-in or using boxed trees/shurbs would be better than actually planting them. At the end of the two years the plants would be permanently planted somewhere else on site, so the cost of transplanting is a concern. Can you give me some insight on all of these alternatives?

Answer: For ease in transportation and to lessen transplant shock, I'd recommend keeping the plants in large containers rather than heeling them in. When the plants are moved to their new location you can keep them in their containers until they adjust to the different environment, and then plant them the following spring or fall in their permanent homes. Hope this answers all your questions!