The Q&A Archives: White Spots on the Jasmine Leaves

Question: I have white spots about 1 to 2 mm wide appearing on my jasmine leaves. The spots are brown on the bottom of the leaf and cannot be removed. I have been removing the sick leaves. Please advise me on what the reason could be.

P.S. the plant is outside and gets morning sun for about 3 hours a day. The temperature never goes below 60 degrees F (16 degrees C)

Thank you

Answer: The possible causes of white spots on the leaves of your jasmine include a copper deficiency in the soil, or feeding by insects called thrips, a chemical injury (overspray from pesticides, herbicides, etc.).

Rather than guess at the cause, I'd recommend taking a sample of the affected foliage to your local Cooperative Extension office for absolute diagnosis and control strategies. Alternatively, you can seal a sample in a plastic bag and take it to your local nursery. Helpful folks there can figure it out for you. Best wishes with your jasmine!