Question: There is a vine that has taken over my yard. It has leaves and wraps itself around branches of my rose bushes, lilacs and fence. I have had to use sheers to cut the vine and pull off my plants and fence. What is it called? How do I kill it?

Answer: Unfortunately based on your description I am not able to tell you which specific vine this is. It might be an invasive Japanese honeysuckle vine or bindweed, but there are many possibilities. Your local county extension should be able to help you identify it and suggest a control plan for it. With some vines it takes repeated controls such as applications of an herbicide containing glyphosate per the label instructions plus repeated cutting back and sometimes digging it out by the roots to gain control over several years' time. Good luck!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by cocoajuno and is called "Here's looking at you."